NutritIon HighlightsThis vitamin C smoothie recipe features:
- whole fruits
- almond milk
- protein powder
Vitamin CVitamin C is essential for immune health in two ways:
- First, it’s a vital nutrient that helps your body create white blood cells (like neutrophils and lymphocytes, among others) that help fight off infection.
- Second, vitamin C is also an antioxidant that protects immune cells from damage and fortifies your system overall. In times when your immunity is compromised, it’s important to get more than enough vitamin C.
ProteinProtein powder is a special addition to this vitamin C smoothie recipe. It has merit beyond simply contributing to your daily requirement of the macronutrient. While fruit is a healthy staple, it’s still a source of sugar. That means it can cause your blood sugar to spike and then crash. For that reason, I usually limit my smoothies to include only one or two servings of fruit. Then, adding a serving of protein powder (about 25 grams) into fruit smoothies further helps stabilize blood sugar as we digest—especially first thing in the morning.
A quick tip About Vitamin C FoodsWith all the emphasis on vitamin C for immune health, there’s a key point to note about getting most of your intake through whole foods. If you’re trying to optimize your vitamin C intake from fresh fruits and vegetables, it’s best to enjoy them raw. Otherwise, you can cook them for a short period of time. Vitamin C is water-soluble, meaning that boiling foods reduces their vitamin C content more than any other cooking method.
Protein + Vitamin C Smoothie Recipe
Made with whole fruits, greens, and protein, this vitamin C smoothie will help you feel healthy, satiated, and ready to take on the day.
This vitamin-packed smoothie includes a few of the top vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables to boost immune the system:
- Strawberries (1 cup = 85 mg)
- Kiwi (1 fruit = 64 mg)
- Kale (1 cup = 80 mg)
- 1-1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (or alt nut milk)
- 2 scoops vegan protein powder
- 1 kiwi, peeled and cut
- 1 cup strawberries, trimmed
- 1/2-1 cup kale
- 1 tbsp almond butter (optional, for creamy texture)
- 1/2 cup ice (optional, if not using frozen fruit)
- Combine the almond milk and protein powder and blend until smooth.
- Add the fruit and greens. Blend again for 30 to 45 seconds until combined and smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!