Your gut is going dig this far out recipe.
By now we’ve all heard the importance of eating the rainbow in your diet. This healthy gut recipe takes that idea to the extreme using a few key natural ingredients with some very vivid pigments: Blue Majik and pitaya.
“This recipe is fun and very pretty, but it’s also beneficial to your health,” says HUM’s director of education, Sarah Greenfield. “Highly pigmented foods typically have more concentrated compounds so the deeper the color, the more nutrient dense it’s going to be. The colors in this particular recipe aren’t ones you’ll encounter in your diet everyday and it’s good exposure to more diverse nutrients.”
What Is Blue Majik?
If you’ve ever seen a beautiful blue smoothie bowl on Instagram, there’s a good chance it was made with Blue Majik. This bright blue powder is extracted from a blue-green algae called Arthrospira platensis. It is said to promote healthy joints and cellular protection and packed with Vitamin B12. One caveat, Blue Majik can set you back a pretty penny so if you prefer a more affordable substitute with similar benefits you can use spirulina.
Also known as dragon fruit, this vibrant pink fruit comes from Central and South America. Pitaya is high in fiber, low in calories and low in sugar. Pitaya is also rich in magnesium which supports healthy sleep and muscle recovery. It’s also loaded with antioxidants to protect from free radicals and Vitamin B2 which is essential for energy production.
We paired these two highly pigmented super ingredients with a probiotic chia seed pudding. Chia seeds are full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids and wonderful for digestion. Adding our Gut Instinct probiotics gives you a powerful boost of healthy gut bacteria to support clear and healthy skin – not to mention your mood. (Seriously, read this to learn more about the connection between your brain and your gut!)
Psychedelic Probiotic Parfait Recipe
1/2 cup chia seeds
2 Gut Instinct capsules
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
1 can coconut milk
2 packets frozen pitaya
1 cup frozen coconut meat
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tsp blue majik
1 frozen banana
toppings of your choice
1. Open Gut Instinct capsules into a bowl by twisting ends in opposite directions and pulling apart. Add chia seeds, unsweetened coconut shreds and coconut milk. Stir and refrigerate.
2. Empty frozen pitaya packets into a blender and mix until smooth. Set aside.
3. Blend the coconut meat, almond milk, frozen banana and blue majik together and set aside.
4. In a glass or small bowl, layer the chia seed pudding, pitaya and blue coconut mixture.
5. Swirl the top two layers together for a tie dye visual effect and top your parfait with granola, seeds and berries of your choice. (We used hemp seeds, coconut shreds and blueberries.)