Your gut is going dig this far-out recipe. By now we’ve all heard the importance of including the rainbow in your diet. This healthy gut recipe takes that idea to the extreme. Here, we use a few key natural ingredients with some very vivid pigments: Blue Majik and pitaya.
Psychedelic Probiotic Parfait“This recipe is fun and very pretty, but it’s also beneficial to your health,” says HUM’s Director of Education, Sarah Greenfield. “Highly pigmented foods typically have more concentrated compounds; the deeper the color, the more nutrient dense it’s going to be. The colors in this particular recipe aren’t ones you’ll encounter in your diet everyday, so it’s good exposure to more diverse nutrients.”
What Is Blue Majik?If you’ve ever seen a beautiful blue smoothie bowl on Instagram, there’s a good chance it was made with Blue Majik. This bright-blue powder is extracted from a blue-green algae called Arthrospira platensis, which is said to promote healthy joints and cellular protection. It’s also packed with vitamin B12. However, there’s one caveat: Blue Majik can set you back a pretty penny. If you prefer a more affordable substitute with similar benefits, you can use spirulina.
What is Pitaya?Also known as dragonfruit, this vibrant pink fruit comes from Central and South America. Pitaya is high in fiber and low in calories and sugar. Additionally, pitaya is rich in magnesium, which supports healthy sleep and muscle recovery. It’s also loaded with antioxidants (to protect from free radicals) and vitamin B2, which is essential for energy production. We paired these two highly pigmented super ingredients with a probiotic chia seed pudding. Chia seeds are full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids and are wonderful for digestion. Adding HUM’s Gut Instinct gives you a powerful boost of healthy gut bacteria to support clear and healthy skin, not to mention your mood. (Seriously, read up about the connection between your brain and your gut!)
Psychedelic Probiotic Parfait
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 Gut Instinct capsules
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 packets frozen pitaya
- 1 cup frozen coconut meat
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp Blue Majik
- 1 frozen banana
- Toppings of your choice
- Open Gut Instinct capsules into a bowl by twisting ends in opposite directions and pulling apart. Add chia seeds, unsweetened coconut shreds, and coconut milk. Stir and refrigerate.
- Empty frozen pitaya packets into a blender and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Blend the coconut meat, almond milk, frozen banana, and Blue Majik together. Set aside.
- In a glass or small bowl, layer the chia seed pudding, pitaya, and blue coconut mixture.
- Swirl the top two layers together for a tie-dye visual effect. Top your parfait with granola, seeds, and berries of your choice. (We used hemp seeds, coconut shreds, and blueberries.)
More like this