Even more reasons to get sweaty. We’re all aware of the obvious benefits of working out: It boosts your mood, aids with fat loss, makes you stronger, reduces stress… But exercising also has some amazing beauty benefits. Breaking a sweat can actually help you achieve shampoo commercial-worthy hair, clearer skin, and more. Here are five benefits of working out that have nothing to do with weight loss.
5 Beauty Benefits Linked to Working Out
1. You’ll Get Better Beauty SleepThere’s a reason they call it beauty sleep: While you snooze, your body goes to work repairing your cells and making new collagen, which helps keep your skin plump and less prone to wrinkles. Blood flow to your face also increases, which contributes to a healthy glow. A study published in the Mental Health and Physical Activity journal found that you sleep much better if you get 150 minutes of exercise per week. Plus, you’ll feel more alert during the day.
2. It’ll Keep People Guessing About Your AgeIn addition to improving your sleep, which boosts your collagen levels, exercise can also act as a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants protect your body from free-radical damage, which can lead to premature aging. Exercising can also help lower your blood sugar over time, because your muscles use more of the sugar in your bloodstream (glucose). Sugar is the ultimate baddie of the nutrition world. Not only does it cause a host of health problems, but it also damages your collagen and elastin. Plus, a promising (but small) study found that long-term endurance training was correlated to the length of telomeres. Telomeres are the caps at the ends of DNA strands that protect our chromosomes. As we age, our telomeres grow shorter which affects the pace of aging.
3. Your Self-Confidence Will Go Through the RoofNeed a confidence boost? Get your kettlebell swings on. Research indicates that people who exercise have higher self-esteem and think more positively about their bodies. Another study suggests that exercise boosts your confidence and promotes positive body image.
4. It Can Help You Get Clear Skin (Yes, Really!)Another one of the beauty benefits of working out? Clear skin. We tend to blame exercise and sweat for causing breakouts, but they aren’t entirely culprits. Your sweat actually flushes out dirt and oil that are trapped in your pores. Problems arise when you wait too long to shower and wash your face after your sweat sesh, because all that gunk goes back into your pores. Exercise also boosts circulation, which helps reduce inflammation.
5. Your Hair Will Get PrettierExercise increases your circulation and promotes healthy blood flow, and your hair can reap the benefits. Your hair follicles receive vitamins, elements, and amino acids from your circulatory system. When they have the optimal supply of these hair-nourishing nutrients, your hair will grow stronger and longer.
January 25, 2017
More like this