Impress your friends with this easy chicken recipe that’s perfect for summer. Celebrity Chef, Mychael Chang, shows us how it’s done. But first, a little insight into what it means to be a celebrity chef….
What does a celebrity chef do?
There’s no big difference between a celebrity client and a regular client. It’s just that my clients happen to be famous. As a celebrity chef, I primarily to do events. It could be a small birthday party or a big fundraiser. Either way, my job is to create a delicious menu for their special occasion.
Do your clients have very strict diets?
Nutrition plays a big factor. Especially with my clients who are celebrities because they want to be healthy and fit. Then again, a couple of years ago I did a party for a group of 17 celebrities. I said we should offer a prime Kobe strip streak as the entree and that the alternative should be a classic chicken pot pie. And the client looked at me funny and asked if I was sure. In the end, 15 out of the 17 people ordered the chicken pot pie! So that tells you that at heart, most people like that comforting aspect of food.
What are we making today?
Today, I’m gonna teach you how to make one of my all time favorite 10 minute dishes. It’s a grilled chicken paillard, topped with a tomato and arugula salad with a little bit of basil and garlic. I love this dish because it’s affordable, it’s fast, it’s healthy, and it’s very easy to clean up.
You can easily do this same recipe with a grilled salmon, or shrimp, instead of chicken. It’s also great with pounded out thin pieces of filet mignon. Or, if you want to be a little bit more indulgent, one of my favorites is thin pieces of fried chicken.
Grilled Chicken Paillard Recipe
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups ripe cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bag of washed and dried arugula
- 1/2 small lemon
- a spring of fresh rosemary
- large piece of manchego cheese (optional)
- sharp knife
- large mixing bowl
- cheese grater
- grill pan
- Cut cherry tomatoes into halves and combine in a large mixing bowl with balsamic vinegar, pressed garlic, salt, pepper and arugula.
- Use a sharp knife to butterfly the chicken breasts. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary and cook on a hot grill pan for 3-4 minutes on each side until done. Plate cooked chicken on a large serving dish or cutting board.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon onto the arugula and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil. Gently toss the salad until evenly coated and serve on top of the grilled chicken.
- Garnish with grated manchego cheese, if desired.