If it’s carb-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free, can you really still call it bread? According to Pinterest, the answer is a resounding yes. This four-ingredient recipe has been popularly adapted to replace hamburger buns, pizza crusts, danishes, and about every other carb indulgence you can think of.
But first, ARe Carbs really that bad?Cloud bread might be a godsend for those who are gluten intolerant, but registered dietitian, Alex Caspero, MA, RD, warns the rest of us against swearing off carbs in an attempt to lose weight. “I dislike that carbs are so vilified,” she says. “I see so many clients whose diets are so high in animal proteins and very low in carbohydrates, and it’s not making them any healthier. When we look at longevity studies, most populations eat a high-carbohydrate diet. It’s the type of carbohydrates that matter,” she says. Rather than eliminating carbs completely, she suggests opting for those that come from whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables. Research shows that whole grains can even contribute to weight loss and gut health. Still, low-carb recipes like cloud bread make for a fun alternative to try if you level your expectations. “I don’t think cloud bread is unhealthy,” she adds, “but I won’t be trading in my whole-wheat bread anytime soon.”
Cloud Bread Recipe (via Mind over Munch)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp full-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 300°F with two baking trays covered in parchment paper inside.
- Separate egg yolks and whites into two separate bowls.
- Mix together the egg yolks, cream cheese, and salt until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar (or baking soda) in the other bowl until you see stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg-yolk mixture into the egg whites until thoroughly incorporated.
- Remove the baking trays from the oven and scoop the mixture into circles with a four-inch diameter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and store in a plastic bag.
May 2, 2017
More like this